Monday, October 25, 2010

Would you rather...?

In the story, Speech Sounds by Octavia Butler, the characters have chosen between having the ability to read and write or the ability to talk. During class, one of the questions we were asked to think of was which ability we would rather keep, the ability to read and write or the ability to speak. This is an interesting point to think about beccause these abilities are definitely taken for granted. How would we communicate if we couldn't speak? How would we learn if we couldn't read? I thought a long time about this ability and I believe that I would rather have the ability to read and write rather than speak.

I chose to give away the ability to speak in order to keep the ability to read and write because I believe reading and writing gives you more knowledge than speaking does. Books can give you so much knowledge and you can learn about different topics in the world. In class you read books in order to broaden your knowledge of certain topics. Reading is food for the brain according to some authors. I believe you can communicate your thoughts through writing just as well as you can through talking. Personally, I avoid confrontation so some times when I need to confront someone about something I do it through writing a note or a message because it is easier for me to convey my thoughts on paper rather than verbally. Writing is very important to me and I would rather have that ability any day rather than the ability to speak.
(Kelcey Summers 15)

1 comment:

  1. This is certainly an interesting question to ponder. I think you make a good case as to why you would choose reading and writing over speaking. I also love the idea that reading is food for the brain. Did any aspect of Butler's story influence to choose reading and writing over speaking?

    ReplyDelete