Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The book of Rye

You may be wondering about the title well I recently saw the movie "The Book of Eli". It's about a man traveling across America in what seems to be a time of plague and destruction. The setting is quite similar to Speech Sounds. Eli seems to be carrying a book that can help create a new world. Without ruining the movie for anyone Eli played by Denzel Washington actually has a disability making it quite a remarkable story. If you compare these two stories you have two people with a disability caused most likely by the misfortune of what is going on in the world. There is also an emphasis on the importance of the written word in both stories. Lastly you have a relationship between the opposite sex where each is getting a need fulfilled by the other person. All and all very similar.
I'm including a trailer clip I found just a warning it is a little violent, but I think it shows a picture of what the world may look like in Speech Sounds. My question is where do you think we'd be today if we didn't have the ability to read? Would there be religion? Would we have a history? What about other cultures would we know about them? I mean how many people have actually been out of the country and how many people have learned about them from books? Anyway here is the clip I think you may see some visual that correspond directly with the story. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlneJ7W7lAc. Thomas Moss (post 12)

1 comment:

  1. Great connection here. I like how you use the film The Book of Eli to give us a different perspective on "Speech Sounds." I might venture to argue that the creator of this film was more likely than not influenced by Butler's work.

    ReplyDelete