Friday, October 29, 2010

The Breaking of Silence

I enjoyed this speech of Audre Lorde who gives an unique view on what silience is. I never saw silence before as a dieses or a cancer that spreads to detroys ones body. But as t I thought about, I found it more and more true. Everybody has a fear wether it is self afflicted or inflicted upon by other. And I think she articulates this quite well as she says " In the cause of silence, each one of us draws the face of her own fear."(21) And these fear really affect us in proper living. Sometimes they get so bad the it destroys morals and even ones sanity. But truely if we don't Break the silence, death is sooner than we think." While we wait in silence for that final luxury of fearlesness, the weight of that silence will choke us."(23) So lets break the silence.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that Butler's speech allowed you to think about silence in a new way. In this post you touch on one of the key issues from the speech--that silence is connected to and influenced by our personal fears.

    ReplyDelete