Saturday, November 6, 2010

Sexuality and Disability

Eli Clare makes some great points in the essay "Reading Across the Grain" about societies view of the sexuality of disabled people. I think personally the main points are correct and many non-disabled people feel rather uncomfortable discussing disabled people in general let alone their sexuality. To be honest before this reading I never really thought about it. Besides just seeing the view TV shows that highlight a disabled couple starting a family and living on their own, I never really thought of disabled people of even having a sexuality or sexual feelings like a non-disabled person. I don't know why this is, but I think that if a survey was taken a lot of people in society would share the same opinion.

I think that it is wrong for people to share this view and know that I have become more aware it may cause me to think differently in the future. Personally I don't think that people with a disability should not be allowed to have a family or spouse and should have rights like everyone else. However, if that disability, whether it be mental or a serious physical disadvantage impairs their ability to be a responsible and caring parent then we should question whether or not they have the right to bring a child into this world. (Shawn Parkhurst, 18)

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that Clare's discussion of disabled sexuality had opened your eyes to this issue. It seems as though one of the major points Clare makes in his book is that disability is not solely a medical condition and that individuals with disabilities are the responsibility of medical professionals. Rather, disability is a civil rights issue that impacts everyone, as our society is, in part, structured on the basis of who possess an able body and who does not.

    ReplyDelete