Saturday, November 6, 2010

How do we learn?

There seemed to be a big debate about the viewing of disabled people by the medical profession. I have been thinking about how there may be another way to study these medical issues in a way that seems less public. I think though still for me I have to look at it in a trustful way. I want to believe that doctors are here to help not to get a kick or laugh out of what patients are going through. I believe that a class viewing of a disabled child is the most efficient way for medical students to learn. I know that doesn't sound very nice and caring, but that is not what doctors are supposed to do. They are supposed to look at a patient objectively without emotion so that they can make the best decision for the patient. I think by allowing the students to view disabilities in this way it doesn't allow them to make a personal connection to place emotion into decisions they make later in life.

You may think why back the viewing of disabled people in this way. I worked with the disabled for awhile young and old. Many don't live that long and the lives they do live are never easy. It was hard to not get close to these people especially the children. However I learned quickly that if I allowed my emotions to take control I wasn't helping them I was doing things that I thought would allow them to not have pain because I didn't want to see them hurt. I think doctors run the same risk when allowing emotion to get in the way. I say allow these medical students to view whatever they need in a way that THEY need and yes it may make the patient uncomfortable and cause some mental anguish, but in the long run these students won't make it personal. They will keep their professional opinions that will BEST help the patient.
Thomas Moss (post 14)

1 comment:

  1. You make some thoughtful and valid points in response to this issue.

    If a doctor's job is to make decisions regarding a patient's well being, should they not also consider how a practice such as the public stripping of disabled children will impact that child not only physically but also mentally and emotionally? Could not this practice, while being beneficial in terms of education, negatively impact a child's health? Is this done for the benefit of the child (to gain new knowledge about the medical issues those with disabilities face) or for the benefit of the medical professionals (that it is a crude but efficient method of education)?

    There are definitely numerous issues at work her and no right answer.

    ReplyDelete