Saturday, October 2, 2010

Beautiful Swan

I believe the last chapter definitely closed up the book well. It showed that Rachel does start to realize who she really is thanks to Brick. Brick was an important character to help Rachel find her place in life. "Brick puts his arm around me. When he looks at me, it feels like no one has really seen me since the accident. In his eyes, I'm not the new girl. I'm not the color of my skin. I'm a story. One with a past and a future unwritten" (Durrow 264). This paragraph really proves Rachel is realizing that she doesn't have to be the new girl. There is at least one person out there that sees the real her. Brick was really the only one besides Rachel that was a witness to what had happened up on the roof that day. The fact that he did everything he could to find her to tell her the stories her dad wanted him to tell her makes him very important. I believe the he waited for the perfect time to tell Rachel what he knew because he wasn't sure if he was ready but also if she was ready. Birds were a big analogy in the story and when the story ends, it ends with another bird analogy.

When the coin dropped in the water all the birds were frightened and ran away. There was one awkward looking bird that ran across the water away from the commotion. This is like Rachel in a way because she escaped the fall and no one else did. She had a different escape which ultimately saved her life. The bird finally caught wind and flew away and so did Rachel. She flew away from the person she used to be. She goes back and wishes that her family had wings and could fly away too but unfortunately they were gone. I am guessing her last wish was to have her family back with her.
(Kelcey Summers, 8)


No comments:

Post a Comment