Friday, September 17, 2010

The power of music.

I like this story it shows how art can move a person. Sonny has such talent and such drive to play music that it consumes him, but he strays. It takes music to bring him back though. It also take music to bring his brother to understand as well. One of the most intriguing points of the story to me was when Creole used music to talk to the band. The narrator speaks of how he uses the music to portray the suffering and pain they had all been through. He also uses it to pull Sonny back. He talks to him through sound almost telling him it's okay, telling him we all have problems and bad things in our past but you can make it through this with the help of the music. The music doesn't only affect Sonny in this piece though in the end it also affects the brother. The brother hears his Sonny's pain finally and hears all he has been through. The brother finally receives the answers he had so long wanted from his brother without his brother speaking a word.
Usually I end my blogs with a question this time I leave it with a song. You might be surprised to find out that Robert Downey Jr. made a CD. Some of his songs were written during his time of drug abuse and some after. I found this CD while over seas and while going through a rough time myself it helped me out alot. I'm sharing this song with you guys because if you listen I think you can hear some of that same pain Sonny must have been going through and what his music may have sounded like. As soon as I read this piece I found a direct correlation to Robert and this CD. I hope you enjoy it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Hpq1CYg04
with commentary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGe66e1ONq0
Thomas Moss (post 4)

2 comments:

  1. I think you do an excellent job of explaining the role of music in Baldwin's story. I love the fact that you give an example of a musician that you see as relating to the type of musician Sonny was in the story, or a song that does something similar to its listener. The example you give can definitely be connected to the Billie Holiday song "Am I Blue?" that we listened to in class.

    ReplyDelete